Human Bioenergetics Laboratory Studies
Women and men are needed to help identify the effects of 12 weeks of exercise training on Type 2 Diabetes.
Who can participate?
- Type 2 diabetics (women and men) that are 40 – 75 years old
- Classified as overweight or obese (Body Mass Index 26-44 kg/m2)
- English speaking
- Not currently pregnant or lactating
- Do not currently participate in regular exercise
- Healthy, without history of cardiac or metabolic disease
You will undergo/receive:
- Medical history and health examination
- Cardiovascular function testing
- Glucose testing
- Body composition assessment
- Up to $1,000 upon completion of the study
Preliminary Screening – Before participating in the study, you will undergo screening at the Michigan Clinical Research Unit (MCRU), Michigan Medicine Cardiovascular Center (CVC) and/or Domino Farms. This appointment should take about 3 hours to complete and will include a resting electrocardiogram (EKG), graded exercise stress test, basic blood draw, urine pregnancy test (for pre-menopausal women), and detailed medical history survey.
If you are deemed eligible based on the results of the preliminary screening, you will be enrolled into our study. You will be randomly assigned to either the Aerobic Exercise (AE) or Control group. If you are assigned to the Control group, you will be given the option to enroll in the AE group upon completion of your original 12-week Control group study period. Both groups will also receive standard diabetes care and a physical activity monitor to wear. The study consists of three (3) distinct phases: Baseline Testing, 12-Week Study Period, and Post Testing.
- Baseline Testing: We want to assess your current level of health and fitness. We will measure your: body composition, blood sugar control, and response to an acute (60 minute) treadmill test. These tests will involve blood sampling and we will obtain a small piece of muscle from your thigh. You will be required to stay in the hospital for 2 nights at MCRU in order for us to obtain some of the important measures of your health.
- 12-Week Study Period: If you are assigned to the AE group, you will undergo 12 weeks of supervised exercise training (5x/week) at the University of Michigan Central Campus Recreation Building (CCRB), other UM recreation building, and/or Domino Farms. You will be performing aerobic-type exercise (i.e., cycling, running, elliptical – you choose!). Heart rate and blood pressure will be monitored during these exercise sessions. You will also be asked to return at week 4 and 8 to re-evaluate your maximal exercise capacity during a treadmill test. If you are assigned to the Control group, you will be asked to resume your normal activities throughout the 12-week study period. You will meet with the research team twice per month.
- Post Testing: We will perform all of the same tests that we did at baseline testing described above in order to see how your health and fitness has changed after 12 weeks of exercise training. You will be required to stay in the hospital for 2 nights at MCRU in order for us to obtain some of the important measures of your health.