Mission & Leadership
The University of Michigan School of Kinesiology strives to be an international leader in education and research related to physical activity, health and wellness, and sport management.
A Message from the Dean
On July 1, 2016, I was thrilled to officially join the University of Michigan School of Kinesiology as its new dean. As I’ve walked through our halls, classrooms, offices, and labs, everyone I’ve met has spoken in some way about the future of our school – how we’ll craft our strategic vision; evolve our curriculum; grow our programs and research. How we’ll actualize the plans we’ve hatched and dreams we’ve nurtured. Who we will be as a school.
I invite you, the students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of our school, to collaborate with me on the challenging and fun work ahead of us. Our identity is a shared one. We will all benefit from a strategic vision that incorporates and celebrates the diverse interests, research, coursework, and priorities of our undergraduate and graduate programs.
In turn, our local and global communities will benefit from the ideas, methods, and solutions that result from our teamwork. Our world needs to solve complex problems such as obesity and sport-related injuries, generate innovative ways to create sustainable and healthy communities, and accelerate business growth and urban redevelopment through sport. Our extremely talented faculty, students, and alumni will lead the charge through their intellectual curiosity, hard work, and tenacity.
There’s much to do, and research, and learn, and discuss, and share. I hope you’ll join me in charting our school’s new course. I’m confident that together we’ll build something stronger, bigger, and better than we ever could have imagined by ourselves.
Lori Ploutz-Snyder, PhD
Professor and Dean
School of Kinesiology
Under Dean Ploutz-Snyder
- Steven Broglio, PhD, ATC - Associate Dean, Graduate Affairs
- Greg Cartee, PhD - Associate Dean, Research
- Thomas Templin, PhD - Associate Dean, Faculty & Undergraduate Affairs
Program Chairs & Faculty Directors
- Tom George, PhD - Program Chair, Applied Exercise Science
- Riann Palmieri-Smith, PhD, ATC - Program Chair, Athletic Training
- Brian Umberger, PhD - Program Chair, Movement Science
- Kathy Clark, PhD - Associate Program Chair, Movement Science
- Mark Rosentraub, PhD - Program Chair, Sport Management
- Kelli Donahue, MA - Associate Program Chair, Sport Management
- Ketra Armstrong, PhD - Director, Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
- Lori Helvey, MBA - Executive Director of Finance, Planning, & Operations
- Joe Gagliardi, MA - Senior Director, Development
- Shannon Hennessey, PhD - Director, Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs
- Emily Mathews, MS - Director, Marketing & Communications
- Jacquie Niven - Director, Human Resources