Apply to Graduate
The 2023 School of Kinesiology Spring Commencement Ceremony is on Thursday, April 27, at 4:30pm ET in Hill Auditorium.
- Commencement Speaker
- Participation Checklist
- Accommodations Requests
- International Students: Letter of Invitation
- COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols
- Academic Attire
- Livestreaming & Recording
- Day of Event Timeline
- Day of Event Instructions for Graduates
- Day of Event Information for Families & Guests
Dr. Monique Butler
Chief Medical Officer, HCA Healthcare North Florida Division
Dr. Monique Butler is chief medical officer of HCA Healthcare's North Florida Division, where she oversees 15 hospitals, 35 graduate medical education residency programs, and approximately one million patients.
Prior to her current role, Dr. Butler served as CMO of HCA’s Swedish Medical Center, a 408-bed level-one trauma center in Colorado. Before joining HCA, Dr. Butler was Chief Operating Officer at Detroit Medical Center and Children’s Hospital of Michigan, and CMO at Detroit Receiving Hospital and Sinai-Grace Hospital. In each of her roles, she has reduced readmission and hospital-acquired infection rates while increasing operational efficiency, performance excellence, and patient satisfaction.
Dr. Butler earned a bachelor’s degree in Movement Science from Michigan Kinesiology, followed by a medical degree from Wayne State University and an MBA from the University of Tennessee. She is Lean Six Sigma certified in health care and is a member of the American College of Healthcare Executives, the American College of Physicians, and the American Medical Association.
Throughout her career, Dr. Butler has received numerous awards and accolades, including being named to the Michigan Chronicle 40 under 40 and the Becker’s Hospital Review 50 great African American leaders in healthcare to know in the nation. Her many community service roles include co-founder of the Young Doctors of Detroit program, founder of the Women Physicians Network, and executive chair of the Greater Detroit Area Health Council and Cardiac Prevention Program.
In honor of her late mother, Dr. Butler created the Grant Foundation to help improve health equity in the US. This includes the Pathfinders Scholarship Award, which helps first-generation and underrepresented Michigan Kinesiology students pursue a career in health care.
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS graduating in August 2022, December 2022, April 2023, August 2023, or December 2023 are eligible to participate in the 2023 Kinesiology Commencement Ceremony. (Note: This is not the university-wide commencement ceremony; December 2023 graduates are not eligible to participate in the Spring 2023 university-wide ceremony.)
- MASTER'S STUDENTS graduating in December 2022, April 2023, or August 2023 are eligible to participate in the 2023 Kinesiology Commencement Ceremony.
- PHD STUDENTS should contact the Office of Graduate Student Affairs for participation eligibility.
- Apply to graduate in Wolverine Access under Student Business > Degree Progress/Graduation > Apply for Graduation. The application is available until the last day of classes (April 18, 2023), but you must apply by Monday, March 6, 2023, in order to be included in both the University and Kinesiology Commencement programs.
- Complete the Walk Form by Monday, April 3, 2023.
- Share your talent with your classmates:
- Apply to be a student commencement speaker by Monday, April 3, 2023. Open to all graduating students (undergraduate and graduate).
- Apply to be a commencement singer by Monday, April 3, 2023. Open to all students at every level, as a soloist or duet.
- Forward the Kinesiology Commencement digital invitation to your family and friends. It will be emailed to you in early February.
- If you or your guests have accessibility needs, complete the Accommodations Request Form by Monday, April 3, 2023.
- If you're an international student whose parents must apply for a visa in order to attend the commencement ceremony, visit myumi.ch/mn95P and follow the instructions to obtain a letter.
- Buy or rent your academic attire.
- Review the detailed schedule for the day of Commencement. Graduates will need to arrive at the SKB Commons at 3:30pm.
We want to ensure full and equitable participation in our events. If an accommodation would promote you or your guests' full participation in this event, please complete the Accommodations Request Form by Monday, April 3, 2023. American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters will be on-stage to interpret the ceremony.
International Students: Letter of Invitation
The University of Michigan will provide a letter of invitation to assist graduates whose parents must apply for a visa in order to attend the commencement ceremony. Please visit myumi.ch/mn95P and follow the instructions to obtain a letter.
COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols
Masking is optional in most indoor spaces on the University of Michigan campus. (Read the policy.) As a result, face coverings, proof of vaccination, and/or a negative COVID test are NOT required at any U-M Commencement event.
High-quality face masks are still an effective strategy for enhanced personal protection, especially for those with compromised immune status, those who are not vaccinated or up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, and anyone with a perceived increased risk of complications from infection. Some in our community will choose to continue to mask and should be empowered to do so. Please be kind and respectful of these personal choices.
The School of Kinesiology agrees to adhere to all federal, state, local, and university COVID-19 safety guidelines, and by attending Commencement, you accept the inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and agree to abide by all federal, state, local, and university COVID-19 safety guidelines. If you are sick and unable to attend, the ceremony will be livestreamed.
Academic attire is required for the University and Kinesiology ceremonies. You can purchase or rent your cap and gown at the following locations:
- Barnes and Noble @ Michigan Union
530 S. State St.
(734) 205-2401 or SM8300@bncollege.com
- Michiganensian Yearbook
The Michiganensian partners with Jostens for several GradExtravaganza events throughout the year.
Need an assist with your attire costs? You can request a free graduation gown through a U-M Central Student Government (CSG) initiative. Complete the interest form by Friday, March 17, 2023. Quantity is limited.
- The Kinesiology tassel and hood color is sage green
- Doctoral attire is NOT available at the Michiganensian
- Hoods can be purchased or rented at Barnes & Noble
The cords available at the bookstores are cords for distinction (GPA) and for the various honors societies and service organizations. There is no limit to the number of cords you may wear when you graduate, so feel free to purchase the cords you have earned along the way.
The maize cords at the bookstores are for undergraduates who earn Distinction/High Distinction/Highest Distinction. The GPA ranges for the distinction notations are determined each May, based on the cumulative GPAs of Kinesiology graduates of that May degree period. Those same numbers are used for the August and December degree periods of that calendar year.
Distinction ranges will not be calculated until all grades are posted for all graduates for the winter term. This means you will not officially know at the time you participate in commencement activities.
How do you know whether or not you should buy maize distinction cords? A best estimate reflects general ranges from the past:
- Highest Distinction: 3.940-4.000
- High Distinction: 3.847-3.939
- Distinction: 3.686-3.846
Call Photography will take multiple pictures of each graduate as they cross the stage, and then email them a free color proof of their photos. There is no obligation to buy.
Additionally, there will be a professional photographer taking candid shots of the ceremony; these photos will be available for free download on the School of Kinesiology Flickr account a few days after the ceremony.
Livestreaming & Recording
The 2023 School of Kinesiology Spring Commencement Ceremony will be livestreamed on Thursday, April 27, beginning at 4:30pm ET via YouTube (link forthcoming). A recording of the ceremony will also be available on the school's YouTube channel after Commencement.
Day of Event Timeline
- 3:30pm - Graduates arrive at the School of Kinesiology Building Commons (2nd floor), visit the registration tables, and are directed to the processional staging area
- 3:45pm - Doors open for guest seating in the auditorium
- 4:15pm - Graduates line up and walk across the street to the auditorium
- 4:30pm - Commencement begins promptly with procession of graduating students
- 6:30pm (approx.) - Reception at the School of Kinesiology Building (although there is no way to predict the exact end time of the ceremony, 6:30pm is a reasonable approximation and most guests typically leave the reception by 7:30pm)
Day of Event Instructions for Graduates
- Graduates should assemble, in their academic attire, in the School of Kinesiology Building Commons (2nd floor). Upon arrival, go directly to the registration tables to pick up your name card. (You will hand your name card to the reader on stage.) After you check in, you will be directed to the appropriate location to prepare for the processional line-up.
- For the procession, graduates will line up by degree earned. Kinesiology staff will assist you in lining up for the procession and walking over to Hill Auditorium. The procession over to the auditorium will begin promptly at 4:15pm.
- Please do not bring any valuables, coats, purses, umbrellas, and other such items to Commencement - there is no place to store them. If you must bring something, you will need to leave it with family/friends BEFORE you go inside SKB. Family/friends will not be allowed to come inside the building with you.
- We highly recommend that you wear shoes that are comfortable, supportive, and suitable for standing, walking, and climbing multiple flights of stairs.
Day of Event Information for Families & Guests
- The doors open at Hill Auditorium at 3:45pm.
- No tickets are required and it is general seating.
- Guests should be seated by 4:30pm at the latest.
- Guests are requested to remain seated throughout the program.
- All graduates, their families, and friends are invited to attend the School of Kinesiology reception immediately following the Commencement ceremony. The reception will be at the School of Kinesiology Building, directly across the street from Hill Auditorium.
- We want to ensure full and equitable participation in our events. If an accommodation would promote you or your guests' full participation in this event, complete the Accommodations Request Form by Monday, April 3, 2023. Guest(s) with mobility limitations (wheelchair, walker, etc.), please arrive 3:30pm so you can be seated before we open the doors to the general public. By entering Hill Auditorium from the WEST entrance (off Thayer), you will be nearest the ramps into the auditorium. Ushers will be available to assist in locating wheelchair-accessible seating and restrooms for guests.
- Are tickets required? Tickets are NOT required for the Kinesiology ceremony. However, tickets ARE required for the university ceremony at Michigan Stadium.
- Is there a photographer at graduation? Call Photography will take multiple pictures of each graduate as they cross the stage, and then email them a free color proof of the photos. There is no obligation to buy. Additionally, there will be a professional photographer taking candid shots of the ceremony; these photos will be available for free download on the School of Kinesiology Flickr account a few days after the ceremony.
- Where can I park? Public parking will be available at the U-M structures. The closest structures to Hill Auditorium are on Fletcher and Thayer as shown on the central campus parking map. Please note that downtown will be extremely busy during the week of graduation and you should allow plenty of extra time to travel and find parking.
- Where can I find more information on the university graduation ceremony at Michigan Stadium? More information can be found on the university's Spring Commencement website. The ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, April 29, 2023, at 10:00am. Tickets ARE required.
- Where can I find more information on the Rackham Graduate School graduation ceremony at Hill Auditorium? More information can be found on the university's Spring Commencement website. The ceremony is scheduled for Friday, April 28, 2023, at 10:00am. Tickets are NOT required.