The 2023 School of Kinesiology Spring Commencement Ceremony is on Thursday, April 27, at 4:30pm ET in Hill Auditorium. All commencement information below will be updated in late 2022 to reflect 2023 information and deadlines.
- Commencement Speaker
- Participation Checklist
- Accommodation Requests
- COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols
- International Students: Letter of Invitation
- Academic Attire
- Livestreaming & Recording
- Day of Event Timeline
- Day of Event Instructions for Graduates
- Day of Event Information for Families & Guests
Vice President and Head, ESPN Creative Studio
Carrie Brzezinski-Hsu is Vice President and Head of ESPN Creative Studio, responsible for creating the design, animation, music, highlights and commercials that surround all ESPN programming. Brzezinski-Hsu is also Vice President of Disney CreativeWorks, the in-house ad agency for the Disney media portfolio that includes ABC, Disney Channel, ESPN, Freeform, FX, Hulu, and National Geographic.
Carrie has spent her career in the media industry pioneering breakthrough marketing programs. At ESPN, she developed sports campaigns and content platforms to integrate advertisers with the ESPN brand. She most recently united the creative teams of ESPN to establish the first-ever 450-person Creative Studio.
Brzezinski-Hsu has been recognized on the Adweek Creative100 list and as a Sports Business Journal Game Changer. In 2021, she received both a Sports Emmy and Cannes Lion for her team’s work on the fan-favorite State Farm campaign in The Last Dance.
Carrie holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Michigan, where she majored in Organizational Studies with a focus in advertising and marketing. She serves on the U-M School of Kinesiology Sport Management Advisory Board.
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS graduating in August 2021, December 2021, May 2022, August 2022, or December 2022 are eligible to participate in the 2022 Kinesiology Commencement Ceremony. (Note: This is not the university-wide commencement ceremony; December 2022 graduates are not eligible to participate in the Spring 2022 university-wide ceremony.)
- MASTER'S STUDENTS graduating in December 2021, May 2022, or August 2022 are eligible to participate in the 2022 Kinesiology Commencement Ceremony.
- PHD STUDENTS should contact the Office of Graduate Student Affairs for participation eligibility.
- ALUMNI WHO GRADUATED IN 2020 OR 2021 are also eligible to participate in the 2022 Kinesiology Commencement Ceremony.
- Apply to graduate in Wolverine Access under Student Business > Degree Progress/Graduation > Apply for Graduation. The application is available until the last day of classes (April 19), but you must apply by Friday, March 4, 2022, in order to be included in both the University and Kinesiology Commencement programs.
- Complete the Walk Form by Monday, April 4, 2022.
- Share your talent with your classmates:
- If you or your guests have accessibility needs, complete the Accommodation Request Form by Monday, April 4, 2022.
- Complete the Call Photography Form prior to commencement.
- Forward the Kinesiology Commencement digital invitation to your family and friends. It will be emailed to you in early February.
- Buy or rent your academic attire.
UPDATED: COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols
On March 14, masking became optional in most indoor spaces on the University of Michigan campus. (Read the updated policy.) As a result, face coverings, proof of vaccination, and/or a negative COVID test are NOT required at any U-M Commencement event.
High-quality face masks are still an effective strategy for enhanced personal protection, especially for those with compromised immune status, those who are not vaccinated or up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations, and anyone with a perceived increased risk of complications from infection. Some in our community will choose to continue to mask and should be empowered to do so. Please be kind and respectful of these personal choices.
The School of Kinesiology agrees to adhere to all federal, state, local, and university COVID-19 safety guidelines, and by attending Commencement, you accept the inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 and agree to abide by all federal, state, local, and university COVID-19 safety guidelines. Additionally, you agree that you will not attend Commencement if you are sick or have been exposed to someone who is sick.
We want to ensure full and equitable participation in our events. If an accommodation would promote you or your guests' full participation in this event, please complete the Accommodation Request Form by Monday, April 4, 2022. American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters will be on-stage to interpret the ceremony.
International Students: Letter of Invitation
The University of Michigan will provide a letter of invitation to assist graduates whose parents must apply for a visa in order to attend the commencement ceremony. Please visit myumi.ch/mn95P and follow the instructions to obtain a letter.
Academic attire is required for the University and Kinesiology ceremonies. You can purchase or rent your cap and gown at the following locations:
- Barnes and Noble @ University of Michigan North Campus
2101 Bonisteel Blvd.
(734) 668-6022 or email@example.com
- Ulrich's Bookstore
1200 S. University Ave.
- Michiganensian Yearbook
The Michiganensian partners with Jostens for several GradExtravaganza events throughout the year.
- The Kinesiology tassel and hood color is sage green
- Doctoral attire is NOT available at the Michiganensian
- Hoods can be purchased or rented at Barnes & Noble and Ulrich's
The cords available at the bookstores are cords for distinction (GPA) and for the various honors societies and service organizations. There is no limit to the number of cords you may wear when you graduate, so feel free to purchase the cords you have earned along the way.
The maize cords at the bookstores are for undergraduates who earn Distinction/High Distinction/Highest Distinction. The GPA ranges for the distinction notations are determined each May, based on the cumulative GPAs of Kinesiology graduates of that May degree period. Those same numbers are used for the August and December degree periods of that calendar year.
Distinction ranges will not be calculated until all grades are posted for all graduates for the winter term. This means you will not officially know at the time you participate in commencement activities.
How do you know whether or not you should buy maize distinction cords? A best estimate reflects general ranges from the past:
- Highest Distinction: 3.940-4.000
- High Distinction: 3.847-3.939
- Distinction: 3.686-3.846
Call Photography will take multiple pictures of each graduate as they cross the stage, and then email them a free color proof of their photos. There is no obligation to buy.
Additionally, there will be a professional photographer taking candid shots of the ceremony; these photos will be available for free download on the School of Kinesiology Flickr account a few days after the ceremony.
Livestreaming & Recording
The 2022 School of Kinesiology Spring Commencement Ceremony will be livestreamed on Thursday, April 28, beginning at 4:30pm ET via youtu.be/q9K2dFI9abg. A recording of the ceremony will also be available on the school's YouTube channel after Commencement.
Day of Event Timeline
- 3:30pm - Graduates arrive at the School of Kinesiology Building Commons (2nd floor), visit the registration tables, and are directed to the processional staging area
- 3:45pm - Doors open for guest seating in the auditorium
- 4:30pm - Graduates line up and walk across the street to the auditorium
- 4:45pm - Commencement begins promptly with procession of graduating students
- 6:45pm (approx.) - Reception at the School of Kinesiology Building (although there is no way to predict the exact end time of the ceremony, 6:45pm is a reasonable approximation and most guests typically leave the reception by 7:30pm)
Day of Event Instructions for Graduates
- Graduates should assemble, in their academic attire, in the School of Kinesiology Building Commons (2nd floor). Upon arrival, go directly to the registration tables to pick up your name card and photo card. (You will hand your name card to the reader on stage, and hand your photo card to the photographer after you walk across the stage.) After you check in, you will be directed to the appropriate location to prepare for the processional line-up.
- For the procession, graduates will line up by degree earned. Kinesiology staff will assist you in lining up for the procession and walking over to Hill Auditorium. The procession over to the auditorium will begin promptly at 4:30pm.
- Please do not bring any valuables, coats, purses, umbrellas, and other such items to Commencement - there is no place to store them. If you must bring something, you will need to leave it with family/friends BEFORE you go inside SKB. Family/friends will not be allowed to come inside the building with you.
- We highly recommend that you wear shoes that are comfortable, supportive, and suitable for standing, walking, and climbing multiple flights of stairs.
- If you're celebrating Ramadan and need to step away from the ceremony to pray, room 347 at the Michigan League has been prepared for this purpose. It's on the 3rd floor.
Day of Event Information for Families & Guests
- The doors open at Hill Auditorium at 3:45pm.
- No tickets are required and it is general seating.
- Guests should be seated by 4:30pm at the latest.
- Guests are requested to remain seated throughout the program.
- All graduates, their families, and friends are invited to attend the School of Kinesiology reception immediately following the Commencement ceremony. The reception will be at the School of Kinesiology Building, directly across the street from Hill Auditorium.
- If you're celebrating Ramadan and need to step away from the ceremony to pray, room 347 at the Michigan League (just across Ingalls Mall from Hill Auditorium) has been prepared for this purpose. It's on the 3rd floor.
- We want to ensure full and equitable participation in our events. If an accommodation would promote you or your guests' full participation in this event, complete the Accommodation Request Form by Monday, April 4, 2022. Guest(s) with mobility limitations (wheelchair, walker, etc.), please arrive 3:30pm so you can be seated before we open the doors to the general public. By entering Hill Auditorium from the WEST entrance (off Thayer), you will be nearest the ramps into the auditorium. Ushers will be available to assist in locating wheelchair-accessible seating and restrooms for guests.
- Are tickets required? Tickets are NOT required for the Kinesiology ceremony. However, tickets ARE required for the university ceremony at Michigan Stadium.
- Is there a photographer at graduation? Call Photography will take multiple pictures of each graduate as they cross the stage, and then email them a free color proof of the photos. There is no obligation to buy. Additionally, there will be a professional photographer taking candid shots of the ceremony; these photos will be available for free download on the School of Kinesiology Flickr account a few days after the ceremony.
- Where can I park? Public parking will be available at the U-M structures. The closest structures to Hill Auditorium are on Fletcher and Thayer as shown on the central campus parking map. Please note that downtown will be extremely busy during the week of graduation and you should allow plenty of extra time to travel and find parking.
- Where can I find more information on the university graduation ceremony at Michigan Stadium? More information can be found on the university's Spring Commencement website. The ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, April 30, 2022, at 10:00am. Tickets ARE required.
- Where can I find more information on the Rackham Graduate School graduation ceremony at Hill Auditorium? More information can be found on the university's Spring Commencement website. The ceremony is scheduled for Friday, April 29, 2022, at 10:00am. Tickets are NOT required.