Our Bachelor of Science degree in Applied Exercise Science allows you to customize your academic plan with rigorous, science-based coursework and experiential learning opportunities in one of two tracks: Our Management Track focuses on business-oriented careers and our Clinical Track prepares you for more “hands-on” careers in medicine and research.
Major in Applied Exercise Science
Applied Exercise Science is a good choice for students who are interested in assessing and promoting physical activity throughout all stages of life. AES majors work directly with athletes, patients, clients, and fellow industry professionals (doctors, nutritionists, etc.). Students often pursue a minor or advanced degree in public health, entrepreneurship, or business.
Non-Kines U-M students: Learn more about Applied Exercise Science and our other programs at a Cross-Campus Transfer Info Session! They are held during Fall and Winter semesters -- just check our Events page for upcoming info sessions.
Applied Exercise Science majors study the biological, social, psychological, business, research, and clinical aspects of physical activity. Through coursework and experiential learning, students learn how to assess and promote physical activity across the lifespan using preventative and therapeutic methods.
Applied Exercise Science majors customize their academic plan with rigorous, science-based coursework and experiential learning opportunities in one of two tracks:
- Management Track. Students pursuing the management track will prepare for business-oriented careers, such as worksite wellness coordinator, business owner, operations manager, or marketing director.
- Clinical Track. Students pursuing the clinical track will prepare for more “hands on” careers, such as clinical exercise physiologist, personal/group exercise specialist, or strength and conditioning coach; or for more academic careers, such as research scientist.
All AES majors are required to participate in a for-credit real-world learning experience during or after their junior year. The primary purpose of an internship is to give students the opportunity to apply theory in a real work setting and develop professional skills to enhance their academic coursework. In addition to internships, other experiential learning opportunities are available in a research setting, independent study experiences, or assisting in a teaching environment.
Students who complete the Applied Exercise Science Program receive a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree.
View the sample curriculum from current and past years in the Forms and Bulletins section of this page, below.
The School of Kinesiology sponsors or promotes over a dozen groups for students to pursue their personal and career interests. They include the Pre-Physical & Occupational Therapy Club, the Black Undergraduate Kinesiology Association, the Michigan Sport Consulting Group, and Phi Epsilon Kappa (PEK), the co-ed Kinesiology fraternity. List and links to their Maize Pages or websites can be found on the Student Organizations page.
Sample AES Course Offerings
- Biology & Behavior of Human Movement
- Applied Anatomy & Physiology
- Principles of Motor Behavior
- Essentials of Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Prescription & Testing
- Psychology of Sport & Exercise
- Physical Activity Across the Lifespan
- Social Factors in Physical Activity Behavior
Browse only AES courses in the Course Catalog *
Browse only HF courses in the Course Catalog *
Browse the entire Course Catalog
* Note: Prior to Fall 2019 all AES courses had "HF" or "PHYSED" program prefixes, and they are still being transitioned to AES.
Forms & Bulletins
Prior to Fall 2019 all AES courses had "HF" program prefixes.
- Undergraduate Bulletin 2022-23
- Undergraduate Bulletin 2022-23, AES Section Only
- Undergraduate Bulletin 2021-22
- Undergraduate Bulletin 2021-22, AES Section Only
- AES Concentration Electives 2022-23 (Google document)
- AES Electives 2021-22
- Declaration of Concentration (Qualtrics form)
AES/HF 290 Field Experience
AES/HF 403 Internship
Sample 4-Year Curriculum
- AES Sample Curriculum 2022-23
- AES Sample Curriculum 2021-22
- AES Sample Curriculum 2020-21
- AES Sample Curriculum 2019-20