Undergraduate FAQs

Browse below for some of our prospective students' most frequently asked questions.

What are the benefits of applying to Kinesiology?

The School of Kinesiology offers undergraduate programs with exceptional learning opportunities for those passionate about health and wellness, business and sports. The School is engaged in a wide range of research and activities -- from the role of neuromuscular systems to the business of sport; from ways to prevent sport injuries to new directions in physical education. The School of Kinesiology enrolls approximately 920 undergraduate students with an average class size of 40 students. We provide an environment that supports discovery and innovation and you’ll find a multitude of ways to gain experience outside of the classroom including opportunities in research, internships, volunteering, and study abroad.

How do I apply?

Freshman and transfer applicants should apply using the Common Application.

Cross-campus applicants and those seeking re-admission can apply using the Cross-Campus Transfer Application.

Guest/Non-degree applicants can download an application from the U-M Undergraduate Admissions website. These students will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. 

What are the application deadlines?

The School of Kinesiology accepts applications for fall and winter terms only. Cross-campus transfers and transfers from other schools/colleges should be aware of deadlines for secondary admission applications.



Fall: February 1*

Winter: October 1

*Freshmen are encouraged to apply early. The EARLY ACTION deadline for Freshman Admission is November 1.



Students are encouraged to submit their application to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions six weeks in advance to the first day of classes.

What are my chances of being admitted as a freshman?

Your chances for admission are based on a number of factors:

  • GPA
  • Standardized test scores
  • Rigor of curriculum (in the context of your high school)
  • Extracurricular involvement
  • Recommendation letters
  • Demonstrated interest

How do I apply for readmission?

Students previously enrolled in the School of Kinesiology who wish to re-enroll must complete a cross-campus transfer application, including essay. Students must also include an official college transcript from ANY post-secondary schools attended since leaving U-M. Students who did not leave the university in good academic standing are required to meet with the Director of Undergraduate Student Affairs before applying.

How do I apply as a guest or non-degree student?

Guest and Non-Degree students will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. You may apply by downloading and completing the appropriate application.

Which high school classes are recommended?

Check out the U-M Undergraduate Admissions recommendations on their College Preparation page.

What are secondary applications?

Athletic Training and Sport Management require a secondary admission application prior to the sophomore or junior year.

Athletic Training: Due April 1

Sport Management: Due February 1

  • The SM Level 2 application will be available by September 15, 2016.

Is Kinesiology a good option for pre-professional students?

Yes! Many Kinesiology students continue their education in graduate programs of some type, whether it's physical therapy, physician assistant, medical, law, or business schools, just to name a few. The majors in Kinesiology provide a solid foundation for those students who want to continue on to a professional graduate program. The School of Kinesiology advising staff is equipped to guide students who are interested in professional school.

Can I talk to an advisor before applying?

Academic advisors in our Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs (OUSA) are available by appointment to discuss academic interests and career goals with prospective freshman and transfer students, particularly those redirecting their educational goals or returning to school after an educational interruption. Call OUSA for an appointment at (734) 764-4472.

Cross-campus applicants are strongly encouraged to attend an information session to learn more about the academic majors and transfer process. Check our events calendar for dates and times.

What is the cost of tuition?

Please check the U-M Office of the Registrar website for the most up-to-date information:

Is financial aid available? Scholarships?

Need-based financial aid is available and you can be considered by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the College Scholarship Service (CSS Profile). Most merit-based scholarships are awarded when a student applies for admission (no separate application is necessary). Visit the U-M Office of Financial Aid website for detailed instructions on how to apply for financial aid.

Thanks to alumni and donor support, the School of Kinesiology also has a small number of scholarships available to incoming freshmen based upon merit and/or financial need. Students are automatically considered for these scholarships when they complete an admission application and/or the FAFSA and CSS Profile. Monetary values range from $1,000 to $40,000 per year. Most of these are renewable for four years.

Does Kinesiology accept advanced placement (AP) credit?

Yes, the School of Kinesiology follows the guidelines used by the College of Literature, Science and the Arts.

Will Kinesiology accept credits from other colleges/universities?

Yes, Kinesiology does accept transfer credit from other colleges/universities. Students should be aware that not all credits are transferable and should carefully plan their academic paths.

To determine if a course transfers to Kinesiology, visit the transfer credit equivalency website or transfer guides for community colleges located in Michigan. Please note that this list may not include professional courses such as First Aid, Nutrition, Athletic Training, Sport Management, etc. These courses must be petitioned for transfer credit. Please schedule an advising appointment to discuss anything related to transfer courses or petitions.

Students can transfer up to 70 credits from a four-year school and up to 60 credits from a two-year school (62 credits if you have completed an associate's degree). As students approach graduation, 24 of the last 30 credits must be taken at the Ann Arbor campus. Transfer credits are considered "out of residence;" credits taken at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor campus or through an approved study abroad program are considered "in residence."

I've been accepted to another U-M school. When can I transfer?

If you would like be considered for admission to the School of Kinesiology, please visit the U-M Undergraduate Admissions website.

I’m currently enrolled in another U-M school. When can I transfer?

Students are not eligible to cross campus transfer until their sophomore year. For example, an incoming freshman for Fall 2015 can first apply to cross-campus transfer to the School of Kinesiology for the Fall 2016 semester.

Can I transfer credits from a community college?

Yes, you can take courses at a community college. Kinesiology will accept up to 60 hours of community college credit from new community college transfers. As a freshman, once you start at U-M, you’re eligible to take courses at a community college until you reach 60 credit hours. Check with your academic advisor to see which classes transfer into U-M. To determine if a course transfers to Kinesiology, visit the U-M Undergraduate Admissions website or transfer guides for community colleges located in Michigan.

What is the average size of a Kinesiology class?

The average Kinesiology class is 40 students although some courses may have as many as 80 students while others may have 10 or fewer.

Who teaches Kinesiology classes - professors or graduate students?

Most Kinesiology courses are taught by professors. One or two of the introductory courses are taught by graduate student instructors (GSIs), and they also lead some of the lab or discussion sections.

Which courses are required to graduate?

The required courses vary among the four majors. For a better understanding, please visit one of the following:

When do I declare my major? Minor?

Many students declare an interest in an academic plan at the time of enrollment, and all are encouraged to choose a program of study be the end of their second year. Students interested in Athletic Training must declare by the end of their first year in order to graduate in four years. All students in Kinesiology can study an approved minor.