Your Kinesiology Connection
The 2013 Kinesiology graduation ceremony will be held on Thursday, May 2nd at 7 pm in Hill Auditorium
Eligibility Before Graduation • Undergraduate Student Checklist • Graduate Student Checklist • Academic Attire Day of Kinesiology Commencement • Timeline • Instructions for Graduates • Information for Families and Guests • Guest Speaker: Jon Jansen, PE '98 FAQs
For the May 2013 Kinesiology ceremony, students who graduated in Fall 2012 or expect to graduate Winter or Summer 2013 are eligible to participate. Undergraduate students expecting to graduate Fall 2013 may also participate.
Eligibility requirements are different for the University-wide ceremony, and details can be found on the University Commencement website.
Undergraduate Student Checklist
- Complete an official degree audit with your OSS advisor.
- Apply for graduation on Wolverine Access. Under Student Business, click on “Apply to graduate”. The application is available until the last day of classes but you must apply by February 26, 2013 in order to be included in the University and Kinesiology Commencement programs.
- Students participating in the Kinesiology Commencement ceremony must fill out a and return it to Paul Roocroft in 1128 OBL.
- Invitations will be:
- emailed to graduating seniors at their umich addresses; and
- mailed to parents, using the permanent address in Wolverine Access.
Graduate Student Checklist
- Complete an official degree audit with Charlene Ruloff (email@example.com).
- Apply for graduation in Wolverine Access. Under Student Business, click “Apply to graduate”. The application is available until the last day of classes but you must apply by February 26, 2013 in order to be included in the University and Kinesiology Commencement programs.
- Email Charlene Ruloff (firstname.lastname@example.org) to request a confirmation form for participating in the ceremony must.
- Invitations to Kinesiology Commencement will be mailed to each graduate's current address, as it appears in Wolverine Access.
Academic attire is required for the University and Kinesiology ceremonies. You can purchase or rent your cap and gown at the following locations:
For the cap, the Kinesiology tassel color is Sage Green.
- Michigan Union Bookstore
530 South State Street
Doctoral attire is available only at the Michigan Union Bookstore. The hood can be purchased or rented.
- Ulrich's Bookstore
549 East University Avenue
6:00pm All graduates check-in, Michigan League Ballroom 6:15pm Doors open, Hill Auditorium 6:15-6:45pm Families and guests take their seats in Hill Auditorium 7:00pm Commencement ceremony starts 8:45pm (approx.) Reception in the Michigan League Ballroom
Instructions for Graduates
- All graduates, in their academic attire, must check-in at the Michigan League Ballroom (2nd floor) by 6:00pm. Leave all bags and purses with family.
- Register at a table (organized by major for undergrads) and:
- collect name card
- complete card for the photographer
- take both cards to the ceremony
- Graduates will be asked to line up: Ph.D. students first; followed by Masters students; then undergraduate students, by major.
- At 6:45pm the marshals (faculty members) will lead the procession across Ingalls Mall to Hill Auditorium.
- Approaching the stage, hand off:
- the photographer’s card while waiting to cross the stage;
- the name card to the announcer on-stage.
Information for Families and Guests
- The doors open at Hill Auditorium at 6:15pm.
- No tickets are required and it is general seating.
- Guests should be seated by 6:45pm at the latest.
- Guests are requested to remain seated throughout the program.
- The University of Michigan wants to ensure that all graduates and guests can participate fully in graduation:
- Ushers will be available to assist in locating wheelchair-accessible seating and restrooms for guests. Please contact 734-764-4472 or email@example.com to make arrangements for special needs.
- A sign language interpreter will be present.
- All requests for special arrangements should be made by March 31, 2013.
- All graduates, their families and friends are invited to attend the School of Kinesiology reception immediately following the Commencement ceremony. The reception will be in the Ballroom on the 2nd floor of the Michigan League. (same place as check-in).
Kinesiology Commencement Speaker: Jon Jansen, PE '98
Jon Jansen is Owner and Trainer of CrossFit Petoskey and a college football analyst for the Big Ten Network. He is a graduate of the Physical Education program and earned his bachelor’s degree from the School of Kinesiology in 1998.
Jansen played offensive tackle for the Wolverines from 1994-1999, starting 50 consecutive games at right tackle. He was a two-time team co-captain and helped lead the 1997 team which won both the Big Ten and the National Championships, capping the perfect season with a 21-16 win over Washington State in the 1998 Rose Bowl. Jansen was also a co-captain of the 1998 U-M Big Ten championship team and earned the Michigan Big Ten Medal of Honor, recognizing his athletic and academic achievements while graduating from Michigan.
Jansen was drafted in the second round of the 1999 NFL Draft by the Washington Redskins. He spent 10 seasons with the Redskins and finished his career with the Detroit Lions. After an 11-year NFL career, he retired and is currently the owner of CrossFit Petoskey—a constantly varied, high intensity, physical training center aimed at improving fitness.
Jansen is originally from Clawson, Michigan and is married to Martha (Wise) Jansen, a 1997 graduate of the Physical Education program. He and Martha currently reside in Petoskey with their son and three daughters.
Your Kinesiology Connection
Return to top