Your Kinesiology Connection
The 2015 Kinesiology graduation ceremony will be held on Thursday, April 30, at 7:00pm in Hill Auditorium.
The commencement speaker will be Kinesiology alumna Jessica C. Berman, Vice President and Deputy General Counsel for the National Hockey League. Berman represents the League in contract negotiations, grievance arbitrations, salary arbitrations, and player disciplinary hearings, and also reviews and approves player contracts and trades on behalf of the League. In addition, she is responsible for League matters relating to player health and safety, playing equipment, NHL coaches, drug testing, employment policies, employee relations, human resources, benefits, insurance, litigation, lobbying, and immigration.
Berman graduated from Fordham University School of Law where she was the Editor-in-Chief of the Fordham Sports Law Forum and an Associate Editor of the Urban Law Journal. She graduated from the University of Michigan School of Kinesiology with an undergraduate degree in Sports Management and Communications with distinction. During her years in Ann Arbor, Berman worked as the Assistant Manager for the Men’s Ice Hockey team and the Men’s Football team through the Sports Information Department. In 2009 the University of Michigan School of Kinesiology awarded her the Early Career Achievement Award.
Eligibility Before Graduation • Undergraduate Student Checklist • Graduate Student Checklist • Academic Attire Day of Kinesiology Commencement • Timeline • Instructions for Graduates • Information for Families and Guests FAQs
For the May 2015 Kinesiology ceremony, students who graduated in Fall 2014 or expect to graduate Winter or Summer 2015 are eligible to participate. Undergraduate students expecting to graduate Fall 2015 may also participate.
Eligibility requirements are different for the University-wide ceremony, and details can be found on the University Commencement website.
Undergraduate Student Checklist
- Apply for graduation on Wolverine Access. Under Student Business, click on “Apply to graduate”. The application is available until the last day of classes but you must apply by February 20, 2015 in order to be included in the University and Kinesiology Commencement programs.
- Students participating in the Kinesiology Commencement ceremony must fill out the online May 2015 Graduation Ceremony Walk Form.
- Invitations will be:
- emailed to graduating seniors at their umich addresses; and
- mailed to parents, using the permanent address in Wolverine Access.
Graduate Student Checklist
- Complete an official degree audit with Charlene Ruloff (email@example.com).
- Apply for graduation in Wolverine Access. Under Student Business, click “Apply to graduate”. The application is available until the last day of classes but you must apply by February 20, 2015 in order to be included in the University and Kinesiology Commencement programs.
- Request a confirmation form for participating in the ceremony by emailing Charlene Ruloff (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Invitations to Kinesiology Commencement will be mailed to each graduate's current address, as it appears in Wolverine Access.
Academic attire is required for the University and Kinesiology ceremonies. You can purchase or rent your cap and gown at the following locations:
- Barnes and Noble @ University of Michigan
530 South State Street
- Ulrich's Bookstore
549 East University Avenue
- Michiganensian Yearbook
420 Maynard Street
(734) 418-4115 x1247
- For the cap, the Kinesiology tassel color is Sage Green.
- Doctoral attire is NOT available at the Michiganensian.
- At Barnes & Noble and at Ulrich's, the hood can be purchased or rented.
6:00pm All graduates check-in, Michigan League Ballroom 6:15pm Doors open, Hill Auditorium 6:15-6:45pm Families and guests take their seats in Hill Auditorium 7:00pm Commencement ceremony starts 8:45pm (approx.) Reception in the Michigan League Ballroom
Instructions for Graduates
- All graduates, in their academic attire, must check-in at the Michigan League Ballroom (2nd floor) by 6:00pm. Leave all bags and purses with family.
- Register at a table (organized by major for undergrads) and:
- collect name card
- complete card for the photographer
- take both cards to the ceremony
- Graduates will be asked to line up: Ph.D. students first; followed by Masters students; then undergraduate students, by major.
- At 6:45pm the marshals (faculty members) will lead the procession across Ingalls Mall to Hill Auditorium.
- Approaching the stage, hand off:
- the photographer’s card while waiting to cross the stage;
- the name card to the announcer on-stage.
Information for Families and Guests
- The doors open at Hill Auditorium at 6:15pm.
- No tickets are required and it is general seating.
- Guests should be seated by 6:45pm at the latest.
- Guests are requested to remain seated throughout the program.
- The University of Michigan wants to ensure that all graduates and guests can participate fully in graduation:
- Ushers will be available to assist in locating wheelchair-accessible seating and restrooms for guests. Please call the Office of Undergraduate Student Affairs (OUSA) at 734-764-4472 to make arrangements for special needs.
- A sign language interpreter will be present.
- All requests for special arrangements should be made by March 31, 2015.
- All graduates, their families and friends are invited to attend the School of Kinesiology reception immediately following the Commencement ceremony. The reception will be in the Ballroom on the 2nd floor of the Michigan League. (same place as check-in).
- Are tickets required? Tickets are not required for the Kinesiology ceremony. However, tickets are needed for the University ceremony at Michigan Stadium.
- Is there a photographer at graduation? Call Photography will take a photograph of each graduate as he or she is recognized on stage. A free color proof will be mailed to each graduate. There is no obligation to buy.
- Where can I park? Public parking will be available at the U-M structures. The closest structures to Hill Auditorium are on Fletcher and Thayer as shown on the downtown parking map. Please note that downtown will be extremely busy during the week of graduation and you should allow plenty of extra time to travel and find parking.
- How can I find more information on the University graduation ceremony at Michigan Stadium? More information can be found on the University's Spring Commencement website. The ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 2, at 10:00am. Tickets are required.
- When will I receive my diploma? The Registrar’s Office will mail diplomas to the graduate’s permanent address (or the diploma address if one has been created by the student in Wolverine Access) by the end of June.
Your Kinesiology Connection
Return to top