Master's FAQs

My undergraduate major was not in Kinesiology, but I am very interested in pursuing a master’s degree in Kinesiology. What should I do?

We accept students from all different types of undergraduate majors – we prefer a diverse cohort of students. Sometimes we ask students to take specific courses to help them attain the level of knowledge we would expect to ensure successful completion of our program. There are no specific prerequisite course requirements.

Do you have a GPA or GRE minimum requirement?

We don’t have minimum GPA or GRE scores – we look at all areas of the application equally and holistically. The recommended GRE scores are 155 Verbal, 160 Quantitative and 4.5 Analytical Writing. We also prefer at least a 3.4 GPA. Please keep in mind that your entire application package is taken into consideration.

Do you accept the GMAT?

We will accept the GMAT in place of the GRE for the Sport Management master’s program only. The GMAT code is SN1-J6-77.

Do you have minimum requirements for the TOEFL test scores?

Your Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score should be at least 84. We also accept International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores in place of the TOEFL. The minimum IELTS is 6.5. We require a TOEFL or IELTS from all applicants whose native language is not English, regardless of their educational background.

I am an international student. Do I have to submit a TOEFL score if I received my master’s degree at an English speaking University?

You must submit a valid TOEFL score regardless of your educational background or Rackham requirements. There are no exceptions.

Is a master's thesis required?

The Master's thesis is an option and is not required. However, if you intend to go on for your Ph.D., it’s strongly recommended.

Do you offer an Athletic Training or Strength and Conditioning program?

Unfortunately, we don’t have a certification program at the Master's level in Athletic Training or Strength and Conditioning. If you’re interested in Exercise Physiology or Biomechanics, though, we encourage you to apply to our program.

Can I transfer credits toward my program?

Once you have been admitted and complete one successful semester, you can petition to transfer up to 6 credits toward your degree. All transfer credits must be approved by the graduate chair. View Rackham's transfer policy on their website.

Does the University of Michigan offer distance learning for the graduate program?

No, we do not offer distance learning for any of our graduate programs.

What’s the difference between Rackham Graduate School and the School of Kinesiology?

The School of Kinesiology is one of the 19 schools and colleges at U-M. Our graduate program is co-administered by the Rackham Graduate School. Rackham oversees the requirements and procedures and certifies the admission recommendation as appropriate.

How much does it cost to attend graduate school?

View the U-M Financial Aid website estimator tool on the U-M financial aid site.

What funding opportunities are available?

The School of Kinesiology does not offer funding at the Master’s level.

Will I have a faculty advisor?

All admitted students will be assigned a faculty advisor based on their area of interest.

How do I view my admissions decision?

You can view application decisions on line by following directions outlined in the Rackham website's admissions section.

Should I come visit?

Visiting U-M and the School of Kinesiology is a good idea, so that you can get a feel for the faculty and students, as well as the Ann Arbor area. If you’d like to visit, email Charlene Ruloff ( with a convenient day and time. She will set up a meeting and email you the details. Let her know if you would like to meet with current students while you’re here.

How can I find a place to live?

Previous graduate students have found the University Housing website helpful.

If your question isn't answered on this page, check the Rackham FAQs or email us at